My sister gave me,among other things, a 5" empañada maker for Christmas. I decided tonight's dinner would be the perfect time to try it out. It works a treat! Cut out the crust with the bottom, put crust on top, add filling (and egg wash the edge) then fold it over and press to crimp the edges. I can't wait to try other fillings now.
6 SP each
- 1⁄2 large uncooked onion(s), diced
- 8 oz uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
- 1 cup(s) cooked frozen yellow corn
- 1 cup(s) frozen baby peas
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground chipotle pepper
- 2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts
- Egg wash
1. Spray Pam in sauté pan and sauté onions until soft. Add turkey meat, breaking up while browning it. Add frozen vegetables and season to taste.
2. Roll out one pie crust just a bit. (If you don’t roll it enough, you can’t get 6 5” circles.)
3. Cut out 6 5” circles (or use a 5” empanada maker). Put ¼ cup of filling into center of circle, brush egg wash around edges. Fold circle in half and crimp edges well.
4. Repeat with second crust. Place pies on parchment lined cookie sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Alternatively, flash freeze and pack into airtight container to bake later. To bake frozen pies, increase baking time to 40-45 minutes.